In keeping with our back-to-school theme for September, we figured it would be a good idea to share some great tips on how make a few bucks while studying at university. With soaring tuition, book and living costs, a little bit of creativity can go a very long way. And you won’t have to bug Mom and Dad half as often for money if you’re making some of your own.
Here are our some of our tried-and-true tips:
- Sell your used text books. Don’t just let them collect dust on your shelves, and don’t keep them unless they will really be useful to you in your career. Pull them out and post them on your university association’s Facebook page, and see who wants to buy them. If your program doesn’t have a Facebook page, start one yourself.
- Start a dog-walking/cat-sitting business. This is a great way to make some extra dough and try your hand at running your own business. You will need to purchase liability insurance and register yourself as a business (which are not too expensive), and even take a dog-walking workshop or two to build your confidence. Then get on Facebook, print out flyers, make some business cards and get your name out there. Offer promotions and freebies to encourage people to give you a shot.
- Tutor. If you excel in a subject, you can help your fellow students by offering tutoring services. Figure out an hourly fee, and start printing out and distributing flyers, and posting on your school’s Facebook page(s).
- Busk on campus or on the street. If you are a budding musician or performance artist, hit the streets or the campus green to entertain the masses and make some money. But before doing that, see if you need permission. Otherwise, you may be slapped with a fine.
- Become a freelance writer. What better way to hone your craft and make money at the same time? Check out sites like Elance.com and Freelancewritinggigs.com to find freelance opportunities. This is great way for any budding professional writer to get their foot in the door.
If the idea of being an entrepreneur while you’re in college excites and motivates you, then you can use Payza to accept payments for your services. Your clients and customers can make instant and secure payments directly to your Payza account, and you can claim your money by bank transfer, wire, check, credit card or Payza-issued Prepaid Card. Open your free account today: www.payza.com !